Monday 30 March 2015

Loaded Cookies


A few weeks ago I had some rice krispie cereal hanging about that the kids decided they didn’t like anymore, and I remembered eating a chocolate chip cookie with rice krispies at some point in my childhood. I searched and found similar recipes online, but nothing that ticked all the boxes –  so I conjured up my own version!

When I told my mom about them, she said, “Whoa, those sound like loaded cookies!” and thus I had the name.

I’ve written this in US terms/UK terms, but as always, please email me if you have any questions. Bon appétit!


Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.

Mix together
1 c. /240g unsalted butter
1 c./200g sugar/caster sugar
1 c./200g light brown sugar
until light and fluffy.

Add
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
and mix well.


In a separate bowl, blend
2 c./340g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Then, with the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients 
to the butter mixture.

Now for the magic:


Stir in
1 c./100g rolled oats/porridge oats
2 c./60g rice krispies cereal
1 c./80g flaked coconut/desiccated coconut (note: US-style flaked coconut works better in this recipe – try here for a UK source)
1 c./180g chocolate chips
being careful not to overmix or crush the cereal!


Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets lined with parchment. I use a small ice cream scoop for uniform size (and it looks proper professional!).

Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the baking sheets halfway through cooking. Transfer to wire racks to cool.


I don’t know where that last one went...

Happy baking!
Chrissie x


14 comments:

  1. These sound similar to loaded cookies that I was watching on The Pioneer Woman recently! Yours are less enormous and far more reasonable in size and quantity than hers! Hope you enjoyed them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They looks so yummy!!! I think I am going to do some baking over Easter!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOHhh delicious!!! Thanks for sharing, I wonder if the kids fancy doing some baking in the holidays....??? Hope so! Sam xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never come across them before they look/sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look as if they come out of a pack of cookies you buy in the store - what a great idea to use the ice cream scoop !!
    Come to think of it, maybe that wasn't such a good idea... Nobody will believe you've made them yourself...;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chrissie, I am missing your posts but I am glad you have called in with this one. I have a lovely summer dress top tutorial on my blog at the moment which would look fab on your little girlie, do pop over and have a look. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:22 am BST

    These sound yummy and what do you know I've got a box of Krispies in my cupboard just waiting for me to do something with them! Thanks for the recipe.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone is sharing cookie recipes this past week or so ... goodness help our waistlines if I find time for a baking session!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delicious Chrissie! I remember these too, and making them for my girls when small. We will have to try them out with your recipe-don't think they will last long! Happy Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh now they look yummy! Thanks for the recipe : ) xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies looks yuummmy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look lovely - I will have to try the recipe. I have just put a post about cookies on my blog today. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look good. It's nice to have something other than rice krispie squares to make with rice krispie cereal. Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look yummy, I must try rice krispies in my next patch of cookies excellent idea :)

    ReplyDelete