Sunday 24 January 2016

Seed Stitch Infinity Scarf Pattern


Is it possible to fall in love, I mean *true love*, with a crochet project? If so, then I am head-over-heels for my seed stitch infinity scarf!

It ticks all the boxes for a crochet crush: beautiful texture, an easy pattern (by that I mean I can simultaneously crochet and carry on a conversation!), a useful item, and in this case, the most sumptuous yarn in the most perfect shade of pink!


It all started with the indulgent birthday purchase of two skeins of Juniper Moon Farm’s Moonshine yarn – a super-fine alpaca, silk and wool blend, sooo soft and snugly. I couldn’t decide what to make with it, so while searching out different crochet stitch combinations I found the seed stitch and knew it would fit the bill.


This pattern is perfect for my Beginner’s Crochet Courses, so I will be including it in the final handouts and sharing it with all my Crochet Clubs. And you, too!  

Seed Stitch Infinity Scarf

Materials

I used:
2 skeins of Juniper Moon Farm Moonshine (100g/180m/197yd per skein)
or 3 skeins of Sublime extra fine merino wool DK (50g/116m/127yd per ball)

or a DK yarn of your choice, with at least 360-400m/400+yd of length – feel free to mix colours, try cotton yarn, acrylic, anything that you fancy! I want you to enjoy this pattern and feel you have the confidence to make it your own!

4.5mm hook

Finished size: My pink scarf was 122cm/48in long, 19cm/7.5in wide – but again, have the confidence to make it longer if you want. I am five feet tall, so I don’t have the neck and shoulders to carry off a large infinity scarf. This is a forgiving pattern in terms of tension and size, so do what suits you!

Pattern:
UK terms (US terms)

Ch 27
Row 1: dc (sc) in 3rd ch from hook; *tr (dc) in next stitch; dc (sc) in next stitch; * repeat from * to the end of the row, finishing with a dc (sc) stitch. Turn your work. (25 sts)


Row 2: Ch 2, dc (sc) in second stitch – this is the top of the tr (dc) of the previous row; tr (dc) into next stitch (top of the dc [sc] of previous row); *dc (sc) in next stitch (top of previous row tr [dc]); tr (dc) in next stitch (top of previous row dc [sc])*. See how the stitches alternate row on row?
Repeat from * to *, ending with a dc (sc) in the turning ch2 of previous row.

 

Repeat Row 2 until your scarf reaches the desired length. Here’s a tip: I always test the length of an infinity scarf or cowl by carefully pinning together the ends with safety pins and trying it on. This way I know if I need to make it longer, if it looks too bulky, etc. Once I’m happy with it, I fasten off, leaving a long tail, then use this tail to stitch together both ends of the scarf (I just used a simple slip stitch with a yarn needle).

I just love the texture of the seed stitch.

I think I'll be making more patterns with it. Cushion cover, summer wrap with a light cotton yarn...but for now I’m actually hoping for more chilly weather so I can get more use out of my new scarf!

Happy crafting!

Chrissie




18 comments:

  1. A lovely scarf, love the simplicity of the pattern and a stunning colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty, and the colour is very Christine! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lovely pattern, looks nice and
    snuggly. I haven't seen that brand
    of yarn before. It looks as though
    it would be great to work with.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep....beautiful colour and I agree, a superb stitch texture.
    ash x
    ps lovely to see your blog pop up on my feed again too!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scarf. I like the texture and the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is gorgeous, I am making a sweater from Juniper Moon yarn and I love it. Nothing like a simple yet beautiful pattern to play with.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful Chrissie!!! Wonderful colour too. Great to hear from you!! I miss your posts! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hellooo! glad you posted about your fabulous cowl. I made a similar one in sedge stitch which I wear a great deal too. Hope you are well. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks cosy, you will want the cold weather to remain to show it off. Love the colour. Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely !!!!
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this stitch in knitting so I will give it a go in crochet! thanks for sharing the pattern. The color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just the yarn for this, I'm making it very soon!!! Thankyou so much for the idea and pattern xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very pretty, the colour is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is the perfect shade of pink! Thanks for the pattern:)

    Happy Days,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great pattern and I am so glad you shared it as it worked out great for my cat blanket! Although I am tempted to make a scarf with it as it is a pretty texture to see!x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for this pattern. I'm crocheting it using 100g skein of Eden yarns Bowland DK in Rambling Rose bought last year from Loop. I had made it into an Elise shawl but it was too small so I unravelled and washed the yarn and now I am enjoying turning it into a cowl/scarf. It really is a lovely stitch and so easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I'm so happy you like the pattern, and I hope you share pics of your finished scarf! Cxxx

      Delete