Friday 20 September 2013

Book review: Cute & Easy Crochet with Flowers

Here’s one you’ll want to put on your wish list, my dears...



Nicki Trench has done it again, a beautiful, easy-to-follow, fun craft book. This time it’s all about blossoms.

I simply must have this blanket!
This lovely book is full of sweet crochet projects, grouped according to level of difficulty. The photographs are pretty, colourful and tempting, so I have a long list of flowery makes on my To-Do list!


Chapter 1 includes an easy Kindle Cover pattern, a gorgeous Tote Bag that I know I’ll make, hats and gloves – and the beautiful Hexagon Flower Throw pictured above is in this ‘Starting Out’ section, so even beginners can have a big project to work on.


The next chapter features some more complicated flowers in garlands and delicate accessories. There is a beautiful tablecloth that I would actually throw over my shoulders and wear as a shawl, it’s that pretty...gosh that makes me sound a bit mad, doesn’t it?


The placemats I’m making are from this section. I’m nearly finished, I just have to sew on a few more flowers (each one took about five minutes to crochet).


The final chapter features a vintage-style brooch, the outrageously stunning bag that I will have to make, someday (ignoring the fact that it takes 207 flowers which are sewn together at the end...perhaps when Little Flower is in big school!),


as well as delicate scarves and doily-like coasters.

I found the instructions for the placemat very easy to follow, and reading through other patterns, they all feature similar clarity. Some of the projects include some simple sewing, such as a lining for a bag, but the instructions are clearly explained.  


The Know-How section showcases all the stitches used in the book, with good, clear illustrations and descriptions, including adding beads and using popcorn stitches.

All in all, another terrific crochet book from Nicki Trench, which I recommend to those of you who like girlie floral things!

And speaking of all things girlie and floral, would you be interested in a crochet-a-long of the blossoming nature? Marianne of Ladybird Diaries and I are organising a CAL to start in October...details coming next week! Time to get out the hooks and get ahead on gift-giving season...

Happy crafting!

Chrissie x

14 comments:

  1. The book looks wonderful and so does your placemat Chrissie. Looking forward to seeing what you might choose to make from it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Chrissie :-) I had this one on my wishlist too and yesterday it arrived in the post..a birthday present from my lovely mum & dad - YAY! And yes please, count me in for the crochet along - sounds like a fab idea!
    Happy weekend,
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous review Chrissie! I agree...it is a fantastic book it really is. So looking forward to our CAL!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great review Chrissie, I wasn't so sure about this book, but you have possibly sold it to me! Some really lovely looking projects! I might have to give the crochet along a miss as I am not sure I can squeeze it in at the moment. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries! I figure some of those who aren't doing the stitch-a-long might like the CAL... I wonder if I did a Clean-A-Long would I manage some time for housework? ;-} Cx

    ReplyDelete
  6. the book looks great Chrissie, and that bag is something else! have a good weekend, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting....I have problems with flowers, never seem to be able to follow the patterns correctly! This might go on my Christmas list! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful review and another gorgeous book Chrissie - have been looking in local shops for it to allow me to have a closer look but it doesn't seem to have arrived here yet! Love the little cats - saw them on Dorothy's blog too, and that bag is exquisite.
    Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I need that book! When I have some spare money I'm having it! My tv licence has just eaten this months spare cash so fingers crossed for next month. The crochet along sounds fun! Two of my favourite blogs involved its got to be great xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chrissie love this book like you although my crochet skills are a little limited still - trying to progress from the granny squares - my hold up is the fact that I find the patterns difficult to get to grip up. I don't understand this as I have been following knitting patterns for yonks! I agree with your review, I love that bag, what I wouldn't give to be able to crochet that one - but I'll keep trying. Looking forward to your CAL, always love reading your blog Chrissie. Have a fabulous weekend
    Lots of love as always
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this book, Chrissie, it does look lovely! And I do enjoy making crochet flowers.....I've been making a few this week! Will put this book on my wish list.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great review of a lovely book. I will definitely check for this book at the library and if they don't have it, I will ask my husband to put it on the possibilities list for my birthday and Christmas gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chrissie....Ooooo yes please a little c.a.l would be wonderful....I am sewing away madly for work at the moment and a CAL would take my mind off the sewing for a while...keep me posted...bestest daisy xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes me wish even more that I could crochet! XX

    ReplyDelete