Wednesday 10 April 2013

Look what the postman brought...

I have another new crochet project to share with you, but not today – something arrived in the post that I must show you!

Aren’t they pretty? It’s the Seaside Life charm pack from Tilda. I can never resist Tilda...
I’m not entirely sure what to do with this charm pack, because I have a wee confession: I’m still learning to sew...
I can count on one hand the number of things I’ve made. But my lack of experience hasn’t stopped me from this
This is my fabric stash. Well, most of it.
We are having work done in the utility room at the moment, and it has forced me into an early Spring Clean as I clear out the room and various cupboards (lots and lots of “Aha! I’ve been looking for that!” moments). And I have been able to collect all the fabrics I’ve been storing in various bags and bins into one place. 

I have no idea what I’m going to do with this one. Same story for the one behind it, and the one behind that...But I mean, really, how could I say no to this funky little fat quarter? It was smiling at me from the charming basket of fat quarters at the fabric shop, placed conveniently near the till so that I could have a rummage while the friendly staff member was adding up my purchases. Clever how the shops do that, eh?
I do have plans for a lot of the fabrics. I have so many ideas inside my head, waiting for me to learn the skills to actually become a reality (I also have a very skinny person inside me, but she can’t get out for all the cupcakes and cookies in her way). Here’s what I’ve made so far for my house, in addition to the basket liner mentioned in this post
Placemats based on a pattern in Zakka Style by Rashida Coleman-Hale
A cushion based on a pattern in Little Stitches by Aneela Hoey, sewing + embroidery = happy!
Oh, wait, I almost forgot this itty-bitty magnet, also from Zakka Style
I am becoming quite good at sewing straight lines...
I do have some projects in mind for the fabric stash

Patchwork feature for a linen sewing machine cover
Learning to paper-piece hexies for a bag for Bunny, who chose the charm pack herself
Christmas placemats

Night-time pillow, filled with lavender
And in a very bold and daring move, I even committed to this
These are the makings of a disappearing nine-patch quilt. Yes, I plan to make something larger than a loaf of bread! I will elaborate on this in a future post. Suffice it to say that I managed to sew together a gazillion charm pack squares into nine-block squares. I was as nervous as a bride on her wedding day when I had to take the rotary cutter to them to cut the disappearing nine-patch design. Still not the most confident of seamstresses.
Happy crafting!
Chrissie x


3 comments:

  1. Hi, it's amazing how much stuff you can hoard, but no matter how much you have you have to collect more, well that what happens with me. I've been collecting stuff for years, and years. Feeling slightly scared that I won't get through it all

    Love the colours in the Tilda pack, look forward to seeing what you transform them into.

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exactly the same - I have boxes of fabric but I'm still learning to sew and there are half-finished projects everywhere!!!

    Love your fabric stash - it's amazing!
    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's good to know I'm not alone! Hope to see your projects, too - I feel like now that I've shown everyone all my fabrics I will be held accountable for them! Cx

      Delete