Monday 15 April 2013

For lack of a better name, introducing the cropped poncho...


Here is my latest crochet creation. But what to call it? I’ve seen relatively similar crochet/knit pieces that go by various names: capelet – sounds too fuddy-duddy; shoulder warmer – eh?; and ponchini – I mean really, as if I’d walk around saying, “Do you like my ponchini?” Sounds like a cross-bred small dog or a new Italian dish.
I wanted something between a cardigan and a scarf/cowl to wear around the house, as one can be too warm, the other not warm enough, depending on the weather. I have a knitted cropped poncho-type thing with a big cowl neck, and I wanted to make a crochet version after I saw this begging for a cuddle at the local haberdashery

Ooo, so soft and gorgeous, and I love the neutral colours, greys and creamy whites and the softest rosy-taupes. I bought this without knowing what to do with it (I seem to have a habit of doing that), so I made up the cropped poncho pattern after I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for.
This is my first time making a crochet garment pattern. I usually prefer knitted clothes and crocheted household items and toys, but I’m happy with how this turned out. I based it on the foundations of a Lion poncho pattern, but changed it to suit my idea.
I am petite person so I made it small, but I’ve written in how to adapt it for someone taller. But I’ve only made one, so please offer feedback!
Cropped poncho
Here’s what I used:
Chunky weight yarn – about one-and-a-half 50g balls for size small (I used Sirdar Crofter Fair Isle Effect Chunky in Shade 0048)
9mm hook
Large button for collar
Written in US terminology:
Hdc = Yarn over hook; insert hook into next stitch; yarn over hook; pull yarn through stitch (3 loops on hook); yarn over hook; pull hook through all 3 loops on hook.
Ch 46, join with slip st to form ring, being careful not to twist the chain
Round 1: Ch1, hdc in each ch around (46sts). Do not join, but mark end of rnd with stitch marker or contrasting thread between last and first sts. Do not turn.
Rnd 2: Hdc in first st, *2hdc in next st, hdc in each of next 4 sts; repeat from * around – 55 sts
Rnd 3 and all odd rnds: Hdc in each st around
Rnd 4: Hdc in first st, *2hdc in next st, hdc in each of next 5 sts; repeat from * around – 64 sts
Rnd 6: Hdc in first st, *2hdc in next st, hdc in each of next 6 sts; repeat from * around – 73 sts
Rnd 8: Hdc in first st, *2hdc in next st, hdc in each of next 7 sts; repeat from * around – 82 sts
At this point the garment reached the curve of my shoulders, so I continued in single hdc in each stitch:
Rnds 9-18: Hdc in each st around. Fasten off and weave in ends
But if you are medium or large size, after Rnd 9, continue as such until garment curves over edge of shoulders:
Rnd 10: Hdc in first st, *2hdc in next st, hdc in next 8 sts; repeat from * around – 91 sts
Rnd 12: Hdc in first st, *2hdc in next st, hdc in next 9 sts; repeat from * around – 100 sts
Rnd 14: Hdc in first st, *2hdc in next st, hdc in next 10 sts; repeat from * around – 109 sts

After you reach the shoulder curve, do 10 rounds of hdc in each st around, then fasten off and weave in ends (see example Rnds 9-18 above) – the idea is that the cropped poncho stays slim against the body, ending just below chest level – so it keeps you warm and doesn’t get in the way with lots of bulk.
Neck: I made up this part by accident – I had the intention of making a cowl neck, but after two rounds I put it on to check the sizing and decided I was finished! Work the neck in the same hdc as the body:
Rnd 1: Join yarn to existing st, then hdc in each st around (46 sts). Do not join, but mark end of rnd. Do not turn.
Rnd 2: Hdc in each st around.
Try on the garment and see if the neck is high enough for you, then either fasten off and weave in the ends, or hdc another round or two. Add a snazzy button just off centre, and pat yourself on the back, well done!
Of course, now that I’ve finished it we’ll have a heat wave and the Spring we’ve been desperately waiting for...
Happy crafting!
Chrissie x

7 comments:

  1. Love the colour. You could call it a shoulder hug, or just a hug.

    J xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! And I think you picked a perfect name for this pattern. So happy to see you at Tangled Happy today! Off to do a bit of browsing around your lovely blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Jessie's idea of calling it a hug! Regardless I think you should go into production, it looks great! (and I love the colours of the yarn too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's lovely, well done, it looks great. And cropped poncho is as good a name as any...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Bunny wants one now, so I might try a child's size with a spare ball of Sirdar Super Chunky in a soft blue, watch this space! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. I don't suppose there's a way to do in from the bottom up is there? I'd really like to make something like this with a hood, but I think the hood would have to go on last.

    Also, it may just be because I'm an amateur, but your instruction not to join at the end of rnd 1 confuses me. You also said not to turn and you didn't mention joining again after that. So are we supposed to crochet each even round backwards? And if we're not joining the rounds won't that leave a big slit from the first row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shiro, thanks for your comment! I suppose you could try to do it from the bottom up - starting with one big chain, then decreasing rather than increasing. You could test it out, perhaps with a small chain and a few rows, to see if it makes sense, and decide from there.
      As for Round 1, the pattern is meant to be done in a continuous round - so you DON'T do a slip stitch at the end of round 1 and turn the work around to start round 2, like some circular patterns suggest. This type of pattern here is easier because you simply keep going around and around until you're done! However, it is wise to put a stitch marker at the beginning stitch of your next round so you know exactly where it started, making it easy to know when you're on the next round.
      I hope I'm being clear enough with this, if it still seems a mystery, please email me via the link at the top, and I can email you some more detailed technique instructions, as well as some photos of the continuous rounds. Do keep in touch and let me know how you get on! Chrissie x

      Delete