Thursday 31 July 2014

Teacher aprons (yes, I know it's summer holidays!)


I know the last thing anyone is thinking about at the moment is back to school...but a friend of mine is a teaching assistant in the primary school’s Reception class, and a while back she had a request. A little summer project.

She needed some sort of carrier for the flotsam and jetsam of Reception class – pencils, stickers, cards (and I suspect the odd chocolate treat for mid-afternoon pick-me-up?). A little bag on a belt? An across-the-body satchel?

Then Sandra from Cherry Heart posted about a gardener’s apron she had made, and I knew I had the solution!


This is a teacher’s apron, in jolly primary colours and fabrics that appeal to 4- and 5-year-olds.


I sewed a pocket slim enough for pencils, with two other pockets for stickers and whatnot/chocolate. You can see the contrasting turquoise thread above...

Sandra’s tutorial was very clear and super-easy to follow - this apron was made in under an hour, including breaks to fetch children snacks and towels for paddling pool play. You can find her original post here.  

Late last night Bunny had a night terror; I heard her crying at 2:45 a.m. She was burning up and delirious, shaking and scared. I cuddled her and comforted her, then she came into our bed for the rest of the night. Cool washcloths and a soft breeze from the window settled her, and a dose of Nurofen helped with the fever. She woke this morning sleepy but absolutely fine, like nothing ever happened. Such a universal parenting situation; I remember cuddling up to my mother after a nightmare, there is nothing quite as comforting. I don’t know which feeling is better: being the child being comforted, or now being the mother, and knowing that wonderful, deep happiness of being the one who can provide such comfort.

But I digress because I'm sleepy...


This morning I woke weary and bleary, with a foggy mind and rattled nerves. I decided a spot of creativity first thing would sort me out and start the day on a positive note. So I made a second teacher’s apron, for the Reception class teacher, using the remaining fat quarter fabrics.


For these aprons I used an inexpensive fat quarter pack of fabrics found on eBay, which fit the bill perfectly.


I matched up some ribbon and bias binding, including a bright orange shade from my grandma's stash, which I used for the pocket trim and apron ties.

I had wondered when on earth I would ever use that orange!
This time the apron was finished in 45 minutes, including yawns and a break to make more tea.


I have some scraps of each fabric leftover – I think I’ll make some little bunting for the classroom. Little Flower will have a very colourful and coordinated Reception class!

Enjoy the weekend!
Chrissie x





28 comments:

  1. How wonderful, I must show my daughter she is a teacher in a primary school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful and very clever idea, now I think we all need work skirts like this for next term....?
    d xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen a peg apron like that on a blog and thought it to be a brilliant idea. Happy Holidays Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful Chrissie and so practical too!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a clever idea Chrissie, I have often thought something like this would be really useful for all the girls at Nursery - I think the pockets would mostly be full of tissues and wipes !
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right! Make one pocket with oilcloth and have a little wipes dispenser.. ;-) Cx

      Delete
  6. What a clever idea and the fabric are just perfect.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're really nice, Chrissie. I know a couple of teachers who would enjoy them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very nice treat for the teachers. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous! Love the pretty fabrics you have chosen, very apt. I am so glad you posted this because I have decided that I am going to attempt to make a gardening apron for my lovely mum for her birthday :)
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a lovely gift! You will do a fine job, no doubt, I want to see what fabrics you choose! Cx

      Delete
  10. It is a great idea !
    And I think one pocket on the apron will have to hold the kleenex wipes for drippy noses at the beginning of the first semester of school (don't know if it's universal, but here in Belgium, when school starts, every child gets a cold...:-))))xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect idea - it is a universal thing, those start of term colds...Cx

      Delete
  11. Your aprons are fantastic - I love your choice of colours - Your poor little one, nightmares are awful - my youngest co-sleeps with me, and an added bonus I don't have to hear my DH snore!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cheerful and colourful - they look fab!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant idea Chrissie and the fabrics are perfect. I loved your exquisite embroidery of the bronze fennel in your last post too. Have a great weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  14. These little aprons will be just the ticket, and I'm sure be most appreciated. Your fabric choices are spot on too!
    Poor little Bunny, am glad she's ok and hope you both have a good night's sleep tonight. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are gorgeous aprons Chrissie, and sure to be very popular with teacher as well as young students; the fabrics are so sweet and isn't it nice to be sewing with cheery bright materials, especially when feeling a bit depleted from sleep disturbance and concern. I hope Bunny is over whatever was troubling her … there's no doubt, a loving caring Mum works wonders :) Weekend just about here, enjoy it lovely! xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  16. so colourful ! Such a fab idea :) Many of our school's TA's (esp the SEN 1:1's) have black bumbag type things, but yours are a whole different ballgame :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there anything that you cant make? You are wonderful.This is such a great idea and your choice of fabric and ribbons work so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both versions are just lovely and will be perfect for the setting. Your story about little Bunny was very touching and also deserving of your mug title. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely project. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're fab Chrissie and I'm sure they will come in very useful. Poor Bunny, night terrors are the worst, but good that she woke up happy. Enjoy your weekend! Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope that Bunny is OK now and that you have had some better nights sleep. The aprons are lovely and just right for someone in reception class with bits and bobs to carry around! You are so clever in your makes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are great Chrissie. A perfect little apron. Hope Bunny doesn't have any more nightmares. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant Chrissie, I love them. Those bright fabrics are perfect aren't they and I love the trims. Well done you!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Helle lovely. I saw this apron and really wanted to make it for myself and a friend, but you have beat me to it. You have done such a lovely job and I really love your choice of fabrics, its fun and very cheerful. Very beautifully made, well done you! Sending you much love xoxo

    ReplyDelete